Restrictions are in place to help slow the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) and save lives. For the latest information visit the DHHS Coronavirus webpage.
The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted some VHHSBA projects. View new restrictions to construction sites.
Update: Easing of Stage 4 restrictions for construction partners and suppliers
Under the gradual easing of Stage 4 coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions, the Victorian Government has updated the legal requirements for the construction of critical and essential infrastructure and services in metropolitan Melbourne.
Melbourne has now entered step two on our roadmap towards reopening. As per advice issued by the Premier on 28 September, all construction sites must continue to:
- have a High Risk COVIDSafe Plan in place that is regularly updated
- issue Worker Permits for all workers on site under new employer obligations
- allow no more than one worker per four square metres of enclosed workspace
- ensure staff wear face coverings as per current directions
- minimise the use of common areas
- prohibit employees, supervisors and on-site specialists from car-pooling
- limit movement of workers between multiple sites
- observe enhanced personal protective equipment (PPE) and hygiene measures if working between sites.
Under the revised legal requirements, large construction sites will now be limited to a daily maximum of onsite workers equating to 85 per cent of their baseline workforce or 15 workers.
A large-scale construction site is defined as:
- more than three storeys high (at completion, excluding basement)
- a floor size greater than 1,500 m2
- any office or retail fit-out, or
- industrial, large format or retail use.
Small scale construction sites (or sites that do not meet the above criteria) must continue to only have five workers plus a supervisor on site at any one time.
All workers count towards the applicable daily worker limit with the exception of workers specifically dedicated to oversight of COVIDSafe functions in the workplace.
Critical State Projects
In addition to the legal requirements outlined above, the Victorian Government has categorised some of our projects as 'Critical State Projects'. These projects will continue at normal workforce levels, while ensuring strict compliance with COVIDSafe Plans.
Projects outside metropolitan Melbourne
Projects being delivered in regional Victoria can continue subject to Step 3 towards COVID Normal. COVIDSafe Plans are advised for all regional Victorian workplaces.
For more information
We are continuing to work closely with construction partners and suppliers to ensure COVIDSafe Plans are in place across all of our projects.
Last updated: 30 September 2020
Subscribe to our
See other projects
in this area.
Subscribe to our eNewsletter
Stay up to date with news and information from VHHSBA
Thank you for subscribing to the VHHSBA eNewsletter.
Join our online commmunity for regular news and project updates