Women in the west
What do Nada, Adele, Sannah, Sue, Lisa, Sue, Liz, Rutna, Rebecca, Erin, Julia, Sarah and Sue have in common?
They are all women working in leading positions on the new $200 million Joan Kirner Women’s and Children’s Hospital in Melbourne’s west.
Back (L-R): Nada Radovic, Adele Kurtz, Sannah McColl, Sue Valentine, Lisa Davie, Sue Haines , Liz Maddison, Rutna Djeng
Front (L-R): Rebecca Muscat , Erin Casey, Julia Beckingsale, Sarah Reeve, Sue Chin
Led by the Victorian Health and Human Services Building Authority Project Director Liz Maddison, the teams from Western Health, Lendlease Building Contractors and Lyons Architects are headed by or include a significant number of senior female staff.
“This is one of the biggest female-led teams working on a hospital project across a whole range of roles from engineering, design, IT, operations and project management,” says Ms Maddison.
“We’ve also got a wealth of experience across the board on a number of other hospital projects. I’ve been the Project Director for Box Hill and Monash Children’s hospitals, so too has Nada Radovic as Executive Project Manager. Nada has also worked on the Royal Children’s Hospital while Julia Beckingsale, our Senior Design Manager represented the State on the recently completed $1 billion Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre.
Sue Valentine came to this team from Fiona Stanley Hospital in Perth while Rebecca Muscat was Design Manager on Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre and Rutna was a Specialist Adviser in New Zealand for the Shajah University Teaching Hospital.”
Nowadays, women working in construction is thankfully not as rare as it once was. In fact, Andrew Miller, Lendlease Construction Manager for the Joan Kirner Women’s and Children’s Hospital project said “approximately 40 per cent of the team employed on this project are women.”
This is particularly appropriate, given the nature of the hospital which will deliver women’s, children's and family services.
When it opens in 2019, the new Joan Kirner Women's and Children's Hospital will consolidate inpatient and outpatient women’s and children’s services at Western Health, allowing more women and families in Melbourne’s west to give birth and access children’s services closer to home. The new hospital will also free up existing beds and facilities at Sunshine Hospital to increase the services Western Health offers to other patients.
Victorian Health and Human Services Building Authority (DHHS)
• Liz Maddison, Project Director
• Nada Radovic, Executive Project Manager
• Julia Beckingsale, Senior Design Manager
• Rutna Djeng, Furniture, Fixtures and Fittings (FF&E) Project Manager
• Sue Valentine, Senior Operations Project Manager
• Erin Casey, Senior Operations Project Officer
• Sue Haines, Office Administration and Furniture, Fixtures and Fittings (FF&E) support
• Adele Kurtz, IT Project Manager
• Rebecca Muscat, Design Manager
• Sarah Reeve, Assistant Design Manager
• Lisa Davie, Site Engineer
• Sannah McColl, Project Architect Lyons Architect
• Lucinda Arundel, Design Architect Lyons Architect
• Sue Chin, Senior Cost Manager with Currie & Brown